Malabar Spinach is popular leafy vegetable in India. It has an unique flavour instead of normally grown Spinach. Malabar Spinach is a climber and non climber plant. It is grown in every where. Recently I saw non creeper variety of Malabar Spinach in my brother's tiny kitchen garden. From there I picked some plants and planted in my house. It has grown very nicely. This is the result of those freshly picked , very simple and tasty and healthy Dal. Usually this Dal is served with Rice and topping with a spoon of Ghee(clarified butter)
- Moong Dal 1 cup
- Water 1 1/2 cups+2 cups
- Malabar Spinach 1 cup leaves(chop finely)
- Green chilli 1(chopped finely)
- Ginger small (chop finely)
- Turmeric a pinch
- Salt according to taste
- Lemon juice 2 tea spoons
- Vegetable oil 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Red chilli 1
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Asafoteda 1/2 tea spoon
- Bengal gram,black gram 1 tea spoon(optional)
- Wash Yellow lentil in a fresh water.
- Cook lentils in a Pressure cooker adding 11/2 cups of water up to 2 whistle.Switch off the stove and keep it aside to become cool.
- Heat pan add cooked Dal and chopped spinach,green pieces,ginger pieces and Turmeric powder and add 2 cups of water and cook in medium flame till Dal and Spinch to become smooth.
- Now add Salt and mix well and off the flame and add the lemon juice and mix well.
- Heat( in a medium heat) oil in a small Seasoning pan add Asafoteda and fry for few min.then add red chilli pieces(make it into half),mustard seeds,cumin seeds and fry for few min. till seeds to splutter.
- Add this seasoning to Dal.
- Serve with Piping hot steamed rice topping with Ghee and with any pickle