Sontti Podi - Dry Ginger Powder
Sontti-Podi (Dry Ginger- Powder) is a traditional healthy powder in almost all homes in Andhra Pradesh.But there are some variations in each and every home.
This variation has been handed down to me from my mothers home as a traditional home secret.
Usually it is served to girls of the family post-delivery for the first 10 days.It is served with hot rice and some Ghee (clarified butter); as medicine as the first portion of the meal.
Then any easily digested vegetables and rasam etc.are served.
Anyway it is good for digestion, as a cure against cough and cold.
Ingredients for Sonti Podi(Dry-Ginger Powder)
- Sonti (Dry Ginger) 200g
- Cumin seeds 1 table spoon
- Garlic pods 3
- Salt 1 table spoon
- Heat a non-stick pan in a medium flame fry Sonti pieces(Dry ginger) for 4 to 5 min.until these pieces has blow double their size.
- Now add Cumin seeds and Garlic pods and fry for 2min.
- Turn off the flame and keep aside to become cool.
- After they become cool take this fried mix and salt in a mixer grinder.Grind well till fine powder.(It usually has a grassy texture)
- Take sieve strainer and sieve this powder in wide plate or news paper
- Now store it in clean container
- Serve with plain 2 big spoons of hot rice and topping with 1 table spoon of ghee.
- It can be served with plain roti topping with ghee.
Fried ginger pieces in mixer grinder
Sieve Sontti podi (Sieve fine Dry ginger powder)