Sweet,tangy and spicy Bitter gourd(Bitter melon) Curry(కాకరకాయ పులుసు,బెల్లం పెట్టిన కూర )
My mother and mother in law also experts in making this curry.This curry is commonly made in all Andhra vaishnavaite and brahmin homes.Because this is no onion and no garlic recipe.
Today i am posting one of the andhra Sweet,tangy and Spicy and juicy vegetable curry in my way:
- Bitter gourd 1 big(cut into round shapes)
- Tamarind 25g(Soak it in warm water or take it tamarind add 1/2 cup amount of water in a microwave safe bowl cook for 30sec.and take it out and keep it aside)
- Jaggery 50g(grate it)
- Salt 1 tablespoon
- Red chilli powder 1 table spoon
- Turmeric 1/4 tea spoon
- Gingely oil 2 table spoons
- mustard seeds 1 teaspoon
- Whole red chilli 1
- cumin seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- fenugreek seeds 1/4 stea spoon
- bengal gram 1/2 tea spoon
- Asafoteda a pinch
- curry leaves 4
- Water 1 cup
- Take bitter gourd pieces in a microwave safe bowl add little amount of water and cook in high power for 5min.
- Now heat 1 spoon of oil in a pan add microwave cooked pieces mix well in medium flame and add cooked tamarind pulp in this mix add little amount of water close lid and cook for 3min.
- Then add grated jagery,salt,chilli powder and turmeric mix well and close lid and cook for 5 min.
- Then open the lid and cook for 1 min. In this stage oil will come out from curry.Then turn of flame,take it curry in a serving bowl
- Heat remaining oil in a small pan in a medium heat add red chilli pieces,bengal gram,mustard seeds,cumin,fenugreek seeds fry few min till seeds to splutter.
- Now add this seasoning to curry and serve with hot rice.
Pf: I have not removed seeds from bitter gourd.In our home we like with seeds.While removing seeds from bitter gourd bitterness will reduce.