Upma - South Indian breakfast
Basic Upma is very easy to make.This recipe is mainly popular in south Indian homes. Main ingredient in this recipe is Semolina or cream of wheat.It is a fine refined wheat. In india generally called refined Rava or Suji. Non refined whole wheat Rava also we will get in India. Here in this recipe i used refined wheat rava or suji or semolina.
Ingredients for Upma:
- Semolina or Rava or Suji 1 glass
- Water 2 glasses
- Bengal gram 1 table spoon
- Black gram 1 tabel spoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Cashew 4
- Ghee 1 tea spoon
- Vegetable oil 2 table spoon
- Onions 1 (cut in to small pieces)
- Green chillies 2 (cut into small pieces
- Ginger small piece (cut into small pieces)
- Curry leaves few
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat, when oil become hot add bengal gram,black gram,fry for few min. then add mustard seeds,cumin seeds fry till seeds become splutter then add cashews and 30 sec.
- Now add green chillies,ginger and onions fry 2 min.till onion pieces turn into golden brown color.
- Add 1 tea spoon in this stage and mix well and add salt.
- Now add 2 glasses of water in this mix, increase the heat from medium to high.
- When water starts boiling turn heat in to medium flame, add semolina slowly, mix well without forming lumps(semolina mix fast in water so we have to mix fast while adding semolina in boiling water).
- Now close with lid and cook 2 min.
- Now turn the flame and take it in to serving bowl.
- Serve Upma with cut lemon.
Onion,green chillies,ginger and lemon
Seasoning in boiling water
Upma in serving bowl
Upma in serving plate
Upma served with butter toast