Pulihora - Tamarind Rice Seasoned with Spices and Groundnuts
ఉ గా ది శు భా కా o క్ష లు - Happy Ugadi To All
Ugadi is a New year for some parts of India. Usually festival means to enjoy with family,friends eating different types of foods. Like Pulihora is a popular Festival Rice recipe in all Andhra homes. Usually For Ugadi festival recipes Pulihora and Bobbattlu. Today's my recipe is Pulihora means a tangy,spicy Rice seasoned with nuts and curry leaves.
Ingredients for Pulihora:
- Rice 2 cups
- Water 3/4 cups water
- Tamarind 50g.(approximately)
- Jaggery or sugar 30g.
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder 1 tea spoon + 1 tea spoon
Ingredients for seasoning:
- Gingely oil or Vegetable oil 1 small cup
- Asafoeteda half tea spoon
- Mustard seeds 2 table spoon
- Bengal gram 1 table spoon
- Black gram 1 table spoon
- Fenugreek seeds 1 tea spoon
- Whole red chillies 5 to 6
- Ground nuts half cup
- Curry leaves few
- Green chillies 4
- Clean rice and wash with water thoroughly
- Take washed Rice in a vessel and add 3/4 cups of water and cook in a Pressure cooker and cook to 3 whistles,off the flame and wait till cooker to become cool.
- In a meanwhile take clean washed Tamarind and add 1 cup of hot water.Thick Tamarind juice will come from this Tamarind pulp. Take this juice in a thick bottomed pan and add 1 tea spoon Turmeric powder,Jaggery,Salt and cook for 2 to 3 min in a medium flame till to become thick smooth paste. Turn off the flame.
- Take cooked Rice in a wide plate and spread it with fork without breaking Rice.
- Sprinkle 1 tea spoon full of turmeric powder and then 1 spoon full of oil mix with fork with this process Turmeic mix well and good color will come to Rice.
- Now add cooked Tamarind Juice Pulp and mix thourougly and keep it aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan fry Bengal gram,Black gram few min then add fenugreek seeds and Whole red chill(make it into half),Asafoeteda fry for few more min.then add Mustard seeds fry till to become splutter then add Ground nuts and fry till to become splutter and then add curry leaves,green chillies and off the flame.
- Now Add this seasoning to Tamarind rice and mix well.
- Wait 10 to 15 min. to serve.