Bateta nu Shaak - Gujarati Spicy Potato Stir Fry
Bateta nu Shaak - Gujarati Spicy Potato Fry
State of Gujarat is Western part of India. Gujarati cuisine had its own special unique taste from all over India. .Today's my recipe Bateta nu Saak - Potato Stir Fry is a delicacy from Gujarat. This recipe I learn from my Gujarati neighbour. I reminisce fondly those days....Just within a week after my marriage I had to move from South India to Northern region, almost 2000 km away to a different state.Those days I didn't know ABCs of cooking. Luckily for me, my husband got ourselves placed in the Campus quarters of the company where he was working and, I used to go and spend my time with my wonderful neighbour friends, and get adjusted to the new locale, people and culture. Those were the times when I was introduced to North Indian dishes,Gujarati dishes. This recipe is very simple and delicious and this yummy curry goes well with Indian breads or Plain Rice.
- Potatoes 3
- Salt To taste
- Water 1/4 cup
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Coriander seeds 1 tea spoon
- Whole pepper 1/2 tea spoon
- Cloves 2
- Methi seeds 1/4 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon
- Ginger paste 1 tea spoon
- Lemon juice 1 table spoon
- Green chillies 2 to 3(cut leangth wise)
- Sugar 1 tea spoon
- Coriander leaves few (finely chopped)
- Vegetable oil 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Asafoeteda 1/2 tea spoon
- Wash and peel the skin of Potatoes and cut into medium size pieces.
- Take Potato pieces in microwave safe bowl,add 1/2 tea spoon of Salt,1/4 cup of water and mix well.
- And cook for 3 minutes in microwave mode.
- In a mean while heat a pan in medium heat add Cumin seeds,Coriander seeds,Black pepper,Cloves,Methi seeds and fry for 1 minute.and turn off the flame off the stove.
- Take these fried Spices in a hand pounder and pound it coarsely and keep it aside.
- Now Heat Vegetable oil in a Pan in medium heat.
- Add Mustard seeds,Cumin seeds fry for few minutes till they splutter.
- Then add Asafoteda,Turmeric powder,pounded spices and Ginger mix well and fry for few minutes
- And Cooked Potato pieces mix well and cook for few minutes.
- Now add a little Salt, Sugar,Lemon juice,Green chilli pieces and coriander leaves mix well and cook in high flame for few minutes and turn off the flame.
- Serve with Rotis or Plain Rice.