Sweet and Tangy Plantain Curry
Normally South Indian homes prefer Tamarind based curries, chutnies, Rasam,Samabr in their meal. Today's my recipe also tamarind based curry most popular in my native state Andhra Pradesh.
Telugu name - Aratikata Pulusu bellam kura.
Sweet and Tangy Plantain curry
- Plantain 1 big
- Water 2 cups approximately
- Tamarind small lemon size
- Jaggery 2 table spoons grated jaggery)
- Vegetable oil 2 table spoons
- Bengal gram 1 tea spoon
- Black gram 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tea spoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Asafoteda 1/4 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder 1/2 a tea spoon
- Curry leaves few
- Salt according to taste
- Red chilli powder 1 tea spoon
- Green chilli 1
- Take bowl of water and add little amount of salt and mix well.
- Now peel the skin of plantain and clean it in to salt water.Because Plantain had sticky and gummy texture.
- Now cut Plantain into small cube shaped pieces.
- Take these pieces in microwave safe bowl and add little amount water and close the lid and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on high power. Keep it aside to become cool.
- Wash the tamarind and take it in a small microwave safe bowl and add little amount of water and microwave on high power for 30sec.and keep a side to become cool.
- Heat oil in a pan on medium heat and then add bengal gram and black gram seeds fry for few min. and then add fenugreek seeds ,cumin seeds and mustard seeds fry till seeds to become splutter then add Asafoteda and curry leaves fry for few seconds.
- Now add cooked banana pieces, turmeric powder and salt mix well.
- Then add Tamarind extract, Jaggery,Red chilli powder and mix well add 1/2 a cup water and cover with lid and cook for 2 min. on medium flame. Remove the lid and mix well and turn off the flame.
- Serve as a side dish with Plain hot Rice topping with Gingely oil.
Spices and Jagery
On high power Microwave tamarind in 30sec