Sambar is a regular side dish in all South Indian homes.This is a Tangy and Spicy cooked Dal(lentil) and vegetable stew.It is eaten with piping hot Idlies (steamed dumplings),Dosa(dal base crapes) and Vada(dal base fried in oil) and rice etc.
Steps for making Sambar:
Steps for making Sambar:
1. We have to cook dal.(lentil)
2.We have to cook vegetables
3. We have to prepare Sambar masala(Ready to use Sambar Powder we will get in Indian markets or any indian grocery stores) Usually i like to prepare in home.
Ingredients for cooking dal:
- Toor dal (pigeon peas)(Kandi pappu,Tuvarm parippu) 1 small cup
- Water 21/2 cups
- Pressure cooker
Method of cooking dal:
- Wash and clean Toor dal.
- Take this Toordal in cooker vessel and add water in to it.( you can cook dal directly in small cooker also,without using any cooker vessel)close the lid and put valve and cook in medium flame in 15 min.
- Turn off the flame.And keep it to become cool.
- After it become cool mash it nicely with laddle keep it aside.
Cooked Toor Dal(Pigeon piece)
Mashed DalIngredients for Sambar masala:
- Toor dal Pigeon piece 1 cup
- Whole red chillies 1 cup
- Cumin seeds 1 table spoons
- Fenugreek 2 table spoons
- Corinader seeds 1 cup
- Coconut pieces small piece(50g)(cut into small pieces)
- Heat a wide pan add Toordal,cumin,fenugreek seeds and red chillies fry in a medium flame.While frying stir continuously till the seeds has to change the color,now add coriander seeds and fry for 2 min.then add coconut pieces and fry for few more min.Turn off flame leave to cool.
- Now take this fried seeds in a mixer jar or a blender blend well to a smooth powder.
- Sambar powdered masala is ready.
Sambar powdered masala
Dry Sambar masala store it in air tight container,no need to refrigerate.
Ingrdients for preparing vegetables in Sambar:
We can use so many vegetable in Sambar like Drumsticks,Red and white Pumpkin,ladies fingers,yellow cucumbar,Sweet potato,Bottle gourd,Egg-plant,Tomato,Carrots,Small onions.........Here i used
- Drum sticks 1
- Radish 1
- Tomato 1
- Small onions 5
- Tamarind around 25g.
- Turmeric 1 tea spoon
- Salt 1 table spoon(check and more)
- sugar 1 tea spoon
- Water 2 to 3 cups
- Clean tamarind soak it in hot water for few min.or take this tamarind in microwave safe bowl add little water cook 30 sec.in microwave safe bowl. Keep this tamarind pulp aside.
- Clean vegetable and cut into medium pieces.
- Take these vegetable in wide pan add 1cup of water and close the lid and cook for 10,15 min.in a medium flame,till vegetables to cook.
- Check if vegetable are cooked then add salt and turmeric and tamarind pulp and cook for 5min.
- Now add cooked and mashed Toor dal in this cooked vegetables add some water and cook for few min.
- Then add 2 table spoons of Sambar Masala powder and cook in high flame for 2 to 3 min and check if Sambar consistency is too thick add little amount of water and cook few min.and turn of the flame.
- Season it.
- Vegetable oil 1 table spoon
- Mustard seeds 1 tea spoon
- Cumin seeds 1 tea spoon
- Fenugrrek seeds
- Red whole chillies 2(break it into half)
- Asafoteda a pinch
- Curry leaves 4 to 5
- Coriander leaves few
Method for seasoning:
- Heat oil in a pan add red chilli pieces,mustard seeds,cumin seeds and fenugreek seeds fry for few min.till seeds to become splutter.
- Then add asafoteda and curry leaves and fry few seconds turn off flame.
- Immedietly add this seasoning into Sambar and close the lid.To retain the flavour of seasoning.
- Decorate with coriander leaves.
- Serve with Idly or Dosa or Piping hot steamed rice.
Vegetables in pan
Cooked vegetables and lentils mix and added smabar masala
add seasoning to sambar
Sambar is ready to eat