Palak dal and Aloo fry
Today i am going to share with you two simple dishes that are low on spice and oil.
Palak (Spinach) dal
Ingredients for the dal base:
1. Moong dal (green gram) 1 cup
2. Palak(spinach) 1bunch( 100gms)(wash and clean)(cut into small pieces)
3. Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon
3. Salt 1/2 tea spoon
4. Green chilli 1(cut into small pieces)
5. Ginger 10 gm(well grated)
6. Cumin powder 1/2 tea spoon
7. Water 2 cups
1. Vegetable oil 1 tea spoon
2. Mustard seeds 1/2 tea spoon
3. dry cumin 1/2 tea spoon
4. Whole red dry chilli 1
5. Garlic 1 clove( cut into small pieces)
1. Wash moong dal and pressure cook for 4-6 minutes on medium flame.
2. Mash the cooked dal well and add the palak to it. Take this mixture in a heavy bottomed vessel and cook gently for 5 min.
3. Add turmeric, cumin powder, ginger and the diced green chillies. Cook for 2 more minutes. Keep this dal base aside.
1. Heat oil in small kadai(pan) on medium flame.
2. Add the mustard seeds to the oil till they get shallow fried. Then add cumin and the whole red chilli into the pan. Add the garlic pieces. Mix well and switch off the stove. (This step must be completed within 2 minutes to avoid the seasoning to get burnt)
3. Now add this seasoning into the dal base and mix well.
The palak dal is ready. Serve with rotis(Indian bread) or with piping hot jeera rice.
P.S. I will post how to make jeera(cumin) rice in near future.
1. Aloo(potato) 250 gms
2. Salt 1 spoon
3. Vegetable oil 1 spoon
4. Crushed red peppers 1 spoon
5. Rosemary 1 spoon
6. Turmeric 1/2 tea spoon
1. Wash the Aloo(potato) and microwave it for 5 min (it has to get soft).
2. Remove the skin and cut the potato into small pieces.
3. Heat the vegetable oil in a kadai(pan). Add aloo pieces and rosemary into it. Fry them on high flame for 2 minutes. Add turmeric and salt to the potato. Switch off the flame.
4. Take it into a serving bowl and sprinkle the crushed peppers on top of it.
Aloo fry is ready. Serve with rotis or piping hot jeera rice.