Aloo(potato) bajji or Aloo Pakoda is a mouth watering dish, which is enjoyed alike by children as well as grown-ups. Aloo Bajji is an evening snack. Its an excellent remedy for dull mood or boredom. It is very easy to make. Actually, any one of the following vegetables can be used to make the Bajji- potato, cauliflower, onion, plantain, egg-plant or even bread.
Today I am presenting to you my version of Aloo(potato) Bajji with vegetable salad and ginger chutney.
Ingredients for the Aloo Bajji or Pakoda:
- Besan (chick pea flour) 1 cup
- Chilli powder 1 table spoon
- Salt 1 table spoon
- Baking soda 1 tea spoon
- Potato 1 (cut into thin slices)
- Vegetable Oil 2 cups( for deep frying)
- Cold water 1 small cup
- Mix the besan(chickpea) flour, rice flour, chilli powder, salt and baking soda with little cold water and make a batter out of it.(The batter should be of medium consistency-neither thick nor thin.)
- Heat oil in a pan on medium flame. Wait till the oil heats up well.
- Dip a potato slice into the batter and carefully drop it into the oil.
- Let the potato slice fry in hot oil. Flip it onto the opposite side after a few moments. Avoid it from sticking onto the bottom of the pan.(use a wooden spatula to flip the bajji)
- As the bajji turns golden brown on both sides, remove it from the oil and place it on a blotting paper, to allow the excess oil to drain out. Allow it to cool for a while.
The aloo bhajji is ready to eat.
Besan (chick pea flour) and 1 potato
Potato cut into thin slices
Potato slices dipped into the batter
Besan-dipped-potato slices in hot oil.
Vegetable salad: chopped onion and tomatoes with some grated carrots, with some sprinkled lemon juice and salt.
Ginger chutney: A sauce made of pound ginger, fried whole red chilli , salt, tamaraind or lemon juice with a pinch of sugar.