Pickles give taste to our meal. This pickle is one of our hot favorites. My mother in law taught me how to make this pickle. I usually make this pickle in little quantity so that I could try a different variety each time. Follow me on this version of tomato pickle...
1. Tomatoes 250 gms
2. Tamarind 50gms
3. Fenugreek seeds 1tea spoon
4. Cumin 1 teaspoon
5. Mustard seeds 1tea spoon
6. Salt 2 table spoons
7. Red chilli powder 2 table spoons
8. Turmeric a pinch
9. Sugar 2 tea spoons
For the Seasoning:
1. Groundnut oil 1/2 cup(or any refined vegetable oil)
2. Garlc cloves 2,cut into small pices
3. Mustard seeds a little
4. Whole chillies 1
5. Cumin a little
6. Asafoteda a little
7. Curry patta 4 leaves
1. Cut big pulpy tomatoes into small pieces.
2. Cook tomatoes in a kadai on low flame for 15 minutes.
3. When it becomes a thick paste, remove from flame and keep aside to cool.
4. In the mean time, take cumin, fenugreek, mustard seeds in a small kadai- fry them until they turn thick brown. Keep aside. After it cools down, pound the mixture and keep aside.
5. Now grind the tomato paste with tamarind and sugar in a mixie/food processor.
6. Take out this paste in a large bowl . Add red chilli powder, salt and cumin, fenugreek, mustard seeds powder to this paste and mix well.
1. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a kadai,
2. Add red whole chilli to the kadai.
3. When the chilli get fried, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, little asafoeteda, cut garlic pieces and curry patta into the kadai and saute the mixture lightly.
3. Now add this mixture to the tomato paste.